miércoles, 15 de junio de 2011

To Sum It All Up

¨From Cambridge to Antigua and back again...¨
They make it sound so easy and simple. It's probably been anything but those two words. This isn't the first time I have traveled to another country that isn't my own. I've been to China and I can say that this trip is nothing like it. Yes, some parts are, like the people constantly selling me things or the fact that everyone is amazed that they see a black person. But, to be honest, I love it. This trip has been really fun and it has opened my eyes to something new. Before I left, I wanted to be able to value the little things and life; I wanted to be able to stop taking things for granted. On this trip, the amount of little kids that I have seen begging for food has really hit me. I am over here getting three meals a day and these kids barely get one or two meals a day. It made me realize that maybe I shouldn't be throwing away food when it's ¨nasty¨I am not saying that I'll go give it to some less fortunate kid on the street, but maybe I could donate the food I don't like to some drive and the less fortunate kids whill have something to eat. Now, I also won't be complaining when my mom doesn't make my favorite dish because some kids don't get a dish at all.
Although I may not be the one most excited about teaching, I must say it has changed me. It made me happy to know that I was making a difference in someones lives. I came to Antigua with all of this hype about how teaching is great, and at first I didn't like it, but it grew on me. I came to really like it. I am just happy to know that I made a difference. I can now cross that off my bucket list...

1 comentario:

Betsy Bowman dijo...

Love that Mitchi! You are fabulous and I can't wait to hear more about your adventures. Safe travels ... see you Monday!
Ms B