miércoles, 15 de junio de 2011

Last Day of School

Today was our last day officially teaching in San Pedro. I've had really mixed feelings about my class the entire time, but today wrapped up really nicely. I'm teaching 6th grade, and there are 43 students crammed into one tiny classroom. They were always polite and did their work, but never really opened up to us. But today was a little different. Even though we had sceduled review, a lot of students blew it off to ask Akilah and I questions. Where do you live? Do you have brothers or sisters? What's your full name? Does it snow where you live? The questions went on and on. And it was really nice to see how interested our kids were, because we hadn't seen that side of them. I'm really honestly going to miss them, and I'm really glad that I photographed each and every one of them.
It's pretty crazy that we're leaving this Saturday. I feel like we've been here for a really long time, but I don't feel ready to go home. I miss my family, hot showers and my house, but at the same time, I've become really attached to Antigua. My host family has been absolutely wonderful, and Chiky and Lico have only shown us kindness. Plus I'm going to miss their two goofy dogs, Talia and Herminina. I don't think it's sunk in yet that we're really going and it's probably going to be a very very very long time before I come back, if I ever get around to it. It's really sad to go back, but I feel like I've changed a lot and that I have a lot to offer back home...

Alana

No hay comentarios.: