viernes, 12 de junio de 2009

My fondest memory

Once again it´s ya boy Stanford reporting to ya´ll from Guatemala. So far, this trip has been amazing. Whether it be climbing a volcano, or taking salsa lessons at Sevilla, everyday has been an exciting experience. In my opinion, teaching the fourth graders at the school in San Pedro has had the most profound effect on me. Their curiosity, as well as their desire to learn, is truly moving and has made me realize how much they value the oppurtunity to learn and grow. But despite my strong feelings, I think that leaving the children behind will be difficult. It´s safe to say that all of us Junior Journey members have developed a connection with the students.

One of my favorite memories at San Pedro happened early on in the second week of teaching. With the help of a large world map painted on the wall outside, I was showing a group of my students where my home was relative to theirs. Suprised by the distance, they asked me if I traveled back and forth every day. After explaing that I was living in Guatemala for a short while, they asked how much longer I´d be teaching. I told them that I´d only be around for a couple more weeks, but not to worry because I´d be coming back to teach the next day. After most of the group dispersed, I noticed that one student of mine had stayed behind. She then looked at me and asked (in spanish)¨Profe. Tommy, when you leave can you take me with you?¨ I paused for a moment, and then explained to her why I couldn´t take her with me. Although it was adorable, it made me sad to think that I would soon be leaving, and that when I did leave, the children would be upset. Despite that, I believe that it furthermore illustrates the impact that we´ve been able to make on the lives of these children. I´m hoping to post some pictures up later, and I´ll definitely keep ya´ll posted. Spurlock signin´out. Peace.

1 comentario:

Betsy Bowman dijo...

That's so sweet / sad. Thanks for the story! Keep them coming ....