lunes, 15 de junio de 2009

The Last Day WithThe Kids 6-15-09

Today was the most difficult day for me. It was the day I would have to say bye to the children at San Pedro that I have been teaching for almost 3 weeks. At first I was excited to play the games with the children but it was so sad when everything was over. I finally had to say bye. Wow. I walked the least fortunate children, in my class, to their homes with a bag of donated clothes and supplies. I mentally prepared myself for what I was about to get myself into. While walking to all the homes, I felt great knowing how thankful the families would be for all that my classmates and I did.


When I walked the last boy home...wow. I do not know to explain the feeling that I felt. First I felt as if I was breaking a sweat walking him to his home. It was about 10 minutes away from the school but it felt as if it was taking forever to get to his home due to the dirt roads that we had to walk down. He lived in the slums but walked home with a smile on his face. It was as if he did not know how bad he was living. The area smelled like dog poop. I felt dirty just walking there. His mother was excited to see us and even more excited to find out that her son won a bag of things. It was so hard for me to see the homes of all the children. I could not even image myself walking to school as a young child. These children are not living “the life” but you would never be able to tell by the smiles on their faces. May God bless them.

No hay comentarios.: