jueves, 11 de junio de 2009

Corpus Christi

We went to Patzun for a beatiful festival called Corpus Christi. I walked around with my Sevilla spanish teacher who was a great tour guide. She explained that the festival is this large carpet going down many streets. The carpet is made of shredded, painted wood. Many different people of all ages were working on creating different animals and religious symbols. I was amazed by the detail and work that people put into this long carpet. A little girl let me participate in the making of this carpet. I walked to the church and waited for the mass to be over. Once it was done people of the church walked over the carpet. All I thought was how could people work this long just for the whole thing to be destroyed after the mass. As I was leaving I saw the Guatemalan people bowing and praying as the priest and the people of the church processed through the crowd.

No hay comentarios.: