martes, 2 de junio de 2009

A day of curveballs

Today was full of surprises for me. I was supposed to be teaching 5th grade with Juan but when we got to the classroom, there was no one there, no teacher or students. It took us about a minute to figure out what to do but we came up with a solution. Juan and I separated and went to different classes with two other groups. I went to the 4th grade class with Tommy and Edwin. At first I was really nervous because they were different kids from the ones I had taught the day before and I just wanted to see what they were doing first. Tommy decided to get me more involved and had me take over for a little while and play some games. Eventually I got more into everything and each of us, Tommy, Edwin and I, took turns leading either a game or asking questions.

I think after today I will be more comfortable being in the classroom and interacting with the kids. It´s also really great how the kids are so enthusiastic and excited to show us what they know. After class was over, I met the cutest little girls, both in the 3rd grade. Their names are Andrea, who is eight years old, and Theresa, who is ten years old. They just came up to me and started talking to me and playing with my hair. The rest of the time I was there, which was a good 30 minutes, they were hugging me and playing with me and wouldn´t let go; I had the third longest conversation in spanish of my life. They also kept asking me what class I was teaching and how long I would be there. It felt good to just talk to these little girls and learn about their lives and talk to them about mine.

1 comentario:

Betsy Bowman dijo...

Maelys! I'm so jealous that you're there with those little kids. Aren't they gorgeous? Just know that even when they're talking too fast and you have no idea what they're saying, most of the time they really just want a hug from you. And maybe to play with your hair! Whatever happened to your 4th graders anyway? Did you ever find out?