lunes, 1 de junio de 2009

The Food....La Comida


At first I was worried about how was going to speak Spanish in a country where Spanish is the fist language. I thought i was doomed. Once I got to Guatemala, I learned that the language barrier was going to be the least of my worries. I learned that people schedule their day based on the meals of the day. What? In the U.S I eat whenever I want and I don´t have to be home to eat. This is different in Guatemala. I learned that I have to be home for every meal. I wake up and then eat breakfast. I go to school and then go home to eat lunch. After that I go out to teach the young children in San Pedro and then go home to eat dinner. I feel a little awkward with such a big change.
The food is good but different. I am eating things that I can´t even pronounce. The food isn´t as bad as I thought it would be. I am getting used to the bread which used to have a funny taste to me but is starting to taste pretty good. I love their chicken soup aka sopa de pollo. They also serve the best rice and bean aka arroz y frijoles. Yesterday I ate my first pupusa and it was an interesting experience. I hope to learn how to cook some of the Guatemalan meals. I am also excited to see what else I will learn in Guatemala.
****Written by Androlissa

1 comentario:

Betsy Bowman dijo...

Have you had lots of pancakes for breakfast? It took me about two weeks to be able to remember the word for "syrup" .... jarabe in case you're wondering. And go buy some fresh tortillas and some avocados if you're not getting those in the house. So tasty .... Have fun! We miss you!