lunes, 15 de junio de 2009

Last Day in San Pedro

Today was the last day that we spent time with the kids in San Pedro. We had some type of fair for them which each grade level would alternate through different stations to partake in competitions. The station that Edmine and I had was a sack race/balancing a lime on a spoon. At first it was pretty difficult because we weren't really sure how exactly we would organize the race. We didn't have that many prizes to give away and we thought all of the kids would start wining because they didn’t get a prize. But in the end we realized how we would organize it. After the games, the kids got a chance to break the piñatas. I have to say, I have never seen that many children scavenger for candy and fight over it like that.


After the piñatas, we took the kids home with their donation bags that we had given them. Edmine and I walked four kids from our first grade class home. I was really touched when we walked our last student home, Fabiola. Her home is in another pueblo, San Miguel, right next to San Pedro, but it took 25-30 minutes to take her to her house. She's only nine years old and she has to walk to school and back home by herself every day. Her parents are always working and when we arrived to her house, we found her little brother who was three years old by himself. I looked around her house and I felt really badly because we had given them this little plastic bag and it felt like it just wasn't enough because they are lacking so much! I really want to send my shout outs to all of my students because I feel like I left someone/something behind and not being able to teach them anymore sucks! I will miss them very greatly!!!!!!!

No hay comentarios.: