lunes, 15 de junio de 2009

Last Day in San Pedro

First I was assigned to the banana eating contest for kindergaten through third grade. It was really fun to see all the kids just shoving bananas in their mouths. The bad side of the game was so many kids cheated intentionally dropping like half a banana on the ground and some kids were just hungry and ate the bananas before we said go. All in all the game went well and all the kids who participated got a snack and some even got a prize. Once the games were over it was time to walk the kids home with their bags of clothes. Honestly, me and my teaching partner Arely really only dropped one girl off at her house. The little girl's name was loyda and we also walked with two of her siblings.

We walked them to the their house and their dad invited us right in. We walked though their house which was cement walls and maybe one roof over the one bedroom for about six people. I looked around and just felt so bad about how they lived. I mean, the dad was so welcoming offering us drinks and talking to us. Right when the kids got into the room they ripped open the bag. I felt like nothing in the bag would even help them or fit. I just wished we were able to give them more. The one thing I remember the most is how excited the kids were that they got a book and they were fighting over it. Just seeing how they lived just made me feel like poor people in the U.S. should stop complaining because they have far better chances for a good education or a richer future than probably any kid that I saw today.

No hay comentarios.: