domingo, 2 de junio de 2013

I Built a House?

When I first found out that during our first weekend we were going top help build a houe I was less than thrilled.  Before I even left the van to get to the house I had already gotten a cut.  By 1030 I was off to work.  We were building a backroom to a house that was literally one room, and a toilet for 5 people.  My first job was to shovel dirt out of the middle onto the sides, behind the house.  On my walk to lunch I heard that people had a bet that I would be the first person to start to complain and take a break.  I proved them all wrong, and myself too.  These past 2 days I have helped make cement, place in cinderblocks and shovel out dirt from the foundation of the room.  Never did I expect that I would help build a house, let alone enjoy it.  The little kids who lived in that house lived with almost NOTHING and had such big smiles on their faces.  It made me so grateful for what I have.  The leader of the project moved to Guatemala 4 years ago after dropping out of college, wihtout knowing any Spanish.  She is so inspirational, and this weekend has showed me not to close anything off and keep my options open.  I love volunteering and have now realized that construction work can actually be fun and so rewarding in numerous ways.  I can´t wait to see what is in store for me for the next two weeks.
Hasta Luego!
Emily

No hay comentarios.: