martes, 11 de junio de 2013

Lessons with Billy!

Almost every weekday at 2:00pm, we all go into Sevilla to begin our Spanish lessons. The burning sunlight rests upon the plants that cover the garden of Sevilla, as PHA students run into the building at the last second before it's too late. Everyone there gets a different experience with their lessons, and it all depends on the personalities of the teacher and student. My own experience has been meaningful and I will never forget it, mainly because of my own teacher - Billy.

On the first day of classes at Sevilla, I believed that he would be strict and a bit difficult to get along with. But after 5 minutes of talking to him for the first time, I first found out that he was incredibly intelligent. He knew so much about things that never crossed my mind, such as the story of San Pedro, a saint that has a statue in the center of the garden of Sevilla. At the beginning of every lesson he would tell me a story. Some of these stories came from Guatemalan myths, and some of them were true stories about his grandfather. He's wise in my eyes. In addition to being intelligent and entertaining, he always has the ability to brighten my mood. I feel like my Spanish has improved because of him. We even have our own inside jokes about "La Llorona," which is a frightening Guatemalan myth that may have made it difficult for me to sleep some nights...

There's only a week left, which I'm sad about because I've cherished all of the hours I've spent with Billy. I see him more as a good friend than a teacher. His kindness, intelligence, and humor are all things that I am the most happy about on this trip. As some say, "people come, people go" - Unfortunately, this phrase applies to this situation. Although I won't see him after Junior Journey is over, he has left me with a lot to remember.


No hay comentarios.: