martes, 11 de junio de 2013

Guatemalan and Mayan Ceremonies

This past weekend we've been participating in a variety of Guatemalan and Mayan ceremonies. These ceremonies really stick out in my mind, because they are unforgettable. On Friday, we saw an example of how people in Guatemala dress up in a variety of costumes and dance around, and we watched an example of a Christmas procession. On Saturday, we saw an example of a Mayan wedding and two students were able to be the "husband and wife", and we all got to dance afterward. Finally, on another night, we watched another example of a Mayan ceremony performed by a man of Mayan descent. This ceremony was very interesting, because he asked for volunteers to participate (I was one of the volunteers) and after going through a few rituals he asked the volunteers for permission to say his interpretations based on our energy. Needless to say, I was impressed with how accurately he read the energy I was giving off, and some of the other volunteers also thought he was on point.
I know we've only been here for a few days, but I feel more connected with Guatemalan traditions and ways of life because I've been observing a lot while walking or on bus rides. It's crazy to think that we will not be here in a week's time, because there is still so much more to explore.
~Christine A.

No hay comentarios.: