viernes, 25 de mayo de 2012

My Experiences So Far

       Being here in Guatemala was nothing like I expected (in a good way). Antigua is beautiful and reminds me of the Dominican Republic, which makes me feel a lot more comfortable. I am amazed by the Guatemalan culture and have learned so much about the culture so far that I don't even know what I want to focus on for my PGP. Last night, I woke up to a loud thump. It took me a while to fall back asleep, and the next morning when I asked my host mother, she told me that it was probably fire crackers being dropped at five in the morning to celebrate a birthday. I could not believe it when she told me that she had not even heard it. My host family is amazing- even the puppy that barks at Sophie and I whenever we walk through the gate. The home made meals and "la siesta" are things that my host family is used to, but for me, they are things I really appreciate coming from the fast, stressful, lifestyle of the United States. With only two entire days here, my Spanish teacher and I are able to have in-depth conversations about anything. I really apreciate his attention and all of the life stories that he shares with me. Even for me, a native speaker, I know that at the end of the three weeks, my Spanish will improve in a dramatic way. Four hours seemed like an eternity at first, but I have no idea where they go at the end of the four hours each day. I also have my little first graders (who are the cutest children with the most energy in the world) to thank who correct any mistakes that David, Kiraleah or I make.

       I will keep you all updated on all of our experiences in the next weeks! Hope you all keep checking in :)

Nicole Peña

No hay comentarios.: