viernes, 25 de mayo de 2012

Good Morning, Guatemala!!!!

It is really weird being in a new country. Especially when your native language (English in this case) is essentially useless. But it is a great challenge. JJ 2012 has been in country for three days, and already we have had two lessons with our spanish teachers, two lessons with los niños at the school in San Pedro, and one hour of salsa lessons with Juan Carlos. From everyone's reports, all the host families are great. The weather is somewhat crazy, with rain and sun switching every hour. I love the litte kids at the school. Yesterday, on the first day they met us, something like twenty kids tackled Andrew (from Guate Guate), Gabe, and Brian, trying to take their backpacks and tickle them to death. Somehow, today I got roped into swinging several students around so that their feet came off the ground. They laughed and screamed and yelled 'mas, mas!' I couldn't say no, even after they demanded piggy-back rides and my hat. I am teaching first graders how to identify animals in English, but they all speak spanish, so I have some problems with communication; more than once, the kids have tricked me into saying 'si' to '¿juego?, which meant that they could go outside. Two days, and I am amazed by everything; The colors, the smells, the scary-sounding birds. It is great. Really humid, but great. Couldn't ask for a better school-funded trip.
Reporting from Antigua, Guatemala, and signing off (for now...).
-Madeline

No hay comentarios.: