sábado, 11 de junio de 2016

Smiling Faces by Lyndbergh

On my bus ride to San Pedro I had a bunch of emotions. I don't know what they were, but I knew it was far from normal. I remember the intense heat from the Guatemalan sun, the smell of gasoline and the piercing eyes of the street vendors. But I also remember walking in to San Pedro, all of those things disappearing. I remember seeing these kids, all with smiles ear to ear, but at the same time different with all their unique qualities. When I was seated and waiting for the welcome ceremony to begin all the kids were overflowing with joy. I expected them to be happy and somewhat shy, but these kids welcomed us in to their community without showing any kind of shyness. Then their national anthem started playing and all at out once they all started singing. The genuine happiness is nothing like what I would see back in an America. The excitement that I saw in those kids will forever change my perspective on education and how I approach school. They were grateful to be in school and were ready to be taught by us. This will forever make me grateful for what I have and be aware that others around me aren't as fortunate.

1 comentario:

Unknown dijo...

Wow, Lyndbergh! Sounds like it was so impactful... I agree that so many of us take public education for granted. I'm glad you are getting a new perspective there!
Love,
Ms. Shao