sábado, 11 de junio de 2016

Lesson Learned In Guatemala by Joshua Elysee

16 years of age, fashion fanatic, neat freak, are some desriptions that make up my character. I didn't want to be in Guatemala, but it was definitely better than being in school. Little did I know, I had to let all of this loose during this trip. I realized this when I walked into my classroom filled with eager children ready to learn. My markers were dried out, there were mosquitos all over the classroom, I could not feel any more uncomfortable than I had already felt. These kids were shouting "INGLES, INGLES, INGLES!" as me and my teaching partner were getting settled down. My transition made me all the more nervous, remembering that I was one of the only people in my advanced spanish class that wasn't a native speaker, and then became the teaching partner that knew all the spanish. The kids asked me to translate words that I hadn't understood and I didn't know what to do, then I realized it was only 5 minutes into my class. Yet, as I got started, the kids sat quietly. They immediately took out their notebooks, they wrote down everything I said and listened to my instructions carefully. These 1st graders had the greatest yearn to learn which I still don{t seem to understand. One of my students approached me after that class with a letter filled with drawings of me and words in gibberish which I assumed was his attempt to write in English. He told me that he appreciated that I am teaching him Enlgish and that he would study every night to be on top of his game. In that split second, I learned a lesson from that little boy. He was a 1st grader who took class more seriously than kids twice his age in the U.S., and I was one of the kids twice his age.

1 comentario:

Unknown dijo...

Aww, Josh. What a great story. I'm so glad to hear you are seeing how public education is often taken for granted here in the US. I'm also excited to hear that you are being pushed out of your comfort zone! I know this'll be an experience you never forget!
Love,
Ms. Shao