sábado, 11 de junio de 2016

Haitian girl in Guatemala- Tracy Beauvois

                 Arriving in Guatemala was the first step to Junior Journey. The buildings, the local stores and food vendors on the streets capture the very small town of Antigua. Moving from calle to calle , I start to feel anxious about Spanish vocabulary. I speak English and Haitian creole but not Spanish- well at least, not yet. My roommate Maya and I , unload are luggage and proceed to the dining room to meet our Guatemalan mother. " Mi nombre es Maura y ella es mi madre", we quickly greeted her in Spanish and told her about the " Estados Unidos". During dinner we exchange a few laughs as I accidentally blurt out a word in creole. Day one was over and Day 2 had brought in new beginnings for us. At 7:45 everyone is dressed nicely and seated on the bus to go to the San Pedro school. Cruising on the rocky bus ride, we pull up to a yellow building with " San Pedro Huertas" written. We enter the school and there awaited a large group of Guatemalan students applauding us for our presence. We gradually sit and watch through a plethora of performances and speeches. After the ceremony my teaching partner Shamir and I go across to the school to meet our lovely third graders. We introduced ourselves and the students were in complete awe. Shouting out " Como se dice..." following that sentence with a word in spanish. We then enjoyed recess with the kids, engaging in jump rope, double dutch , soccer with a empty bottle and hand games. We left at noon time to eat lunch at our homestays then to report to Sevilla at 2 for our Spanish lessons. Lunch at home reminded of my Haitian food in Boston. The sauce pwa and duree made me reminisce of the dinner back home. Walking to my Spanish class I start to think " Hey, life is about taking chances and this is just the first".

No hay comentarios.: