martes, 16 de junio de 2015

Reverse Culture Shock

Sorry for the lateness of this blog post. I have been in Guatemala for 15 days so far. In that time, I experienced what I would describe as a ¨reverse culture shock¨. I am not sure what I expected, but I was caught off guard about how similar many things are to back home. It´s tough to put it into words because of how obvious these similarities should have been to me before I even came here, but I will try. There´s a kind of internal struggle with traditional values and modern, or I suppose Westernized values, just like America is constantly going through. However, I would think that much of the world has that in common. Little kids are hyper - and that is definitely the case in the U.S.. I have had multiple discussions about government corruption, which has become almost a cliché during American conversation. The list goes on and on. The human experience is fairly
common, and I am just learning that from my time here. 

-Alistair Acosta-Gladstone

P.S. Look forward to the differences between Guatemala and the U.S. that I have noticed (in contrast 
with this post) next time.

No hay comentarios.: