domingo, 7 de junio de 2015

It has only been one week that I've been here in Guatemala and I can already say with confidence that the people here have touched my heart. I speak with my home stay parents as if we have known each other for years. I see them more as good friends instead of people that are paid to take care of me. They are very funny. The people I see on the street are friendly too. I know that they know I'm not Guatemalan due to me speaking fluent English and walking around in my Jordans. They still greet me every day with a smile and a very warm "Hola". The part that has touched me the most is ConstruCasa.  This is a program some of us are a part of where we help build homes for needy families in Guatemala. I was chopping bricks and making holes in them, moving them from one place to another, and I made a cement mix. I was in a group with Mr. Lavelle and David. While mixing the cement I got to meet the three daughters of the family we where building the house for. The youngest was Odilia, 11 years old, the middle one was Blanca, 13 years old , and the oldest was Gladis, 15 years old. Every time I messed something up they would laugh and show me how to do it correctly. I couldn't help but be embarrassed but I just laughed with them and let them teach me. When we were heading home they gave us a little fruit that tasted like plums and ice cream. They came from a poor family. The fact that they had nothing and still shared what little they had with us really got to me. Even though I was the one doing all the hard labor they proved that they were the real strong ones. The house is scheduled to be done very soon, by Monday (Today is Sunday). I can't wait to see the smile on the faces of those three girls when they are handed the key to their new house and I can't wait to build more for other families. This is something I can't wait to talk about once I get home.

No hay comentarios.: