viernes, 1 de junio de 2012

Once in a Lifetime Opportunity

When I first landed in Guatemala about a week and a half ago, I felt so excited. It was not because I was in an airplane or because I had never been out of the states before, however it was because of the new experience that I could already feel I was going to have. When I was in Boston, all I really knew was that I was going to a country in Latin America called Guatemala and when I was down there I was going to teach little kids English and in the afternoon I would be taking a four hour, one on one, Spanish class everyday as well. Although I knew the exact floor plan for what we were going to do and the schedule for each day it was when I started to do the actual activities everyday and see Guatemala and all of the children in the school, that I started to really see what the trip had to offer for us and the kids and I was able to see that first hand.
Every morning when I wake up in the morning I always forget for a couple of seconds where exactly I am. Then it just hits me that ´yeah, you are in Guatemala girl´. I love working with the kids and it is amazingly touching and adorable to see how much they really want you there because every time we set foot into the school, all of the children want to be around us and always want to know for certain that we will be returning the next day. The children are so energetic but for the most problem that is not a problem. I also feel really proud because along with the usual process of going into the classroom and teaching my fourth graders phrases such as ´How are you doing´, I also was able to help bring down a new game or activity for the kids to play at recess which was double dutch and I helped to teach the kids double dutch instead of the usual jumping with one rope. Now, every time at 10:30 when it is time for recess, the kids always run up to us asking, or pleading even that we jump rope together and I feel glad that I am able to entertain the kids an make them happy for the time being that I am here in Guatemala.
I know now everyday that I am here and as I look forward to activities such as climbing the volcano, I fully realize that this truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity that I have the opportunity to have at my fingertips.

Kimberly Germain

No hay comentarios.: