jueves, 3 de junio de 2010

Maybe you're thinking ... why am I here?

Hi everyone!

It's so exciting to read your stories from Antigua. Seeing the pictures and reading your names and realizing who's on this journey just makes me smile. I remember showing you all pictures from the first junior journey back when you were freshmen and you all asking ... "can we do that when we're juniors?" It's amazing how fast time has flown ... and here you are!

Isn't it strange how things happen? Here you thought you were going to Guatemala to learn Spanish and teach English - and now you're involved in something so much bigger than yourselves. I guess I know a little something about how you're probably feeling right now ... The amazing thing about your being there at this time, is that you can be a source of so much joy for people who are really scared right now. You know that your families are safe. You know that you will have warm homes to return to. So now your job is to just be with people who's present and future might be a little more uncertain. And that means playing with little kids, smiling a lot, and practicing your Spanish by asking people how they're doing - and actually listening to the answer. You don't have to be a psychologist or some kind of expert in anything. Just be yourselves and you will be amazed at how much good your presence alone will do.

Please keep writing and telling more stories! It's good for all of us to read, and it's good for you to write for an audience because it will help you to clarify your thinking. I have graduation here in Haiti on Saturday - then I'll be home on Sunday (unfortunately not in time for PHA graduation.) So I guess I'll see you all when you get back. Enjoy some tortillas and the huge avocados and the pollo campero for me!

Have fun and be safe!!

Much love from Haiti,
Ms Bowman

No hay comentarios.: