viernes, 28 de mayo de 2010

Antigua v. America

It was the second day when I realized that I just wasn´t in the Estados Unidos anymore. I mean obviously I noticed that I wasn´t in America any more, but walking these cobblestone streets really opened my eyes. When we first arrived in Guatemala, we drove through Guatemala City, which really is nothing more than any other ciudad that could be in any other pais. Nothing special. Not yet. Pero then we entered Antigua. Totally different. Antigua is old- not like ancient grandmother old- but like antique old. Something to be cherished and kept safe. Everything is viejo and that means it has a history. In America, we are made to believe that the constant updating of our lives is what´s best for us. Pero in Antigua (which ironically means Antique), things are best when they are preserve.

The people are different tambien. Friendly in a surprising, sincere way. When they ask, ¿como esta? they actually care for an answer. Like, because I am human and they are human we should automatically care for each other. Its nice to know that gente still care and they aren't afraid to show it. Its beautiful. It shows strength. Y that not all people are the same. I was going to Antigua primarily to teach ingles and learn espanol, but I ended up learning that people are different and being cynical is going to get me no where fast.

And now I'm wondering why. Why in America are we constantly trying to get better? Why can´t we stick with what we have? And when did we decide that was the best course? Why do Americans always need things? And if being rich and always changing and trying to make things new, the best course of action, why are people in Antigua always smiling? Why are they happy? And why are they contento with what they have? And how do I end up like that too?

No hay comentarios.: